Amphetamine synthesis from P2NP via Al/Hg (video)

ch3wbacca

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

Adding metallic mercury to some 50% nitric acid and not inhaling the fumes, then using this to amalgamate Al in water or alcohol.
Works always, relieable and fast.
If this is now the (I) or (II) nitrate I confess I never spent a thought on.

But all mercury salts work, solubility is secondary. Mercury alone is not really the hit, but some nitric acid or some HCl and a pinch of nitrate help it to get on the way.

The amalgamation is cake from the mercury side of the fence, the problems blamed on the mercury are IMHO virtually always to blame on the aluminium in special the stupid foil which still is believed to be suitable.
Get some good 99,9% Al granules and amalgamation will be the least of your troubles, the whole reaction will then be troublefree most probably.

Montecristo

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Awesome thank you.
I got some Mercury Nitrate on the way but if that fails i will get some thermometers!
I have some Al granules for my pyrotechnics but it is pretty much a powder, would I be better off buying some with a coarser grain? if so, what size would you recommend?
Thanks! I'm really excited to give this a go!

Montecristo

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thoroughly rinsing the Al multiple times.
Mercury content vs final product used probably wouldn't be enough to poison you either , especially if you do rinse the majority off. Its probably most dangerous dealing with it during the reaction rather than the final product.
But ask an experienced member and they could probably spell it out for you, I am also a layman :)

Gérard Gibert

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
A few times it doesn't. But if you live with it regularly within, say, reasonable limits and not every day, it can be quite toxic in the long run. I think that due to its relatively simpler synthesizing process, most of the amphetamine sulfates on the market are made with this synthesis. I think a similar proportion comes out the other way around, if we look at how many people don't give a shit about how much mercury remains in the finished product, among those who make it and then scatter it on the street.
I hope that the principles formulated by BB will be examples to be followed in the future, for the next generations. It will be a silly word for this, but I think the best thing would be if BB was able to create a "fashion" defining a new era, out of the pursuit of quality. It is almost impossible to influence the attitude of those people who see it more simply and/or because they are profit-oriented at any cost... or the other extreme, whose own limitations hinder their development. Except that they will be forced to follow the trends and thus the needs of the changing market.
But back to mercury, I fear it too. It's true, I have a frightening example that happened to a family member in the past.
Mercury is a heavy metal, in most cases it is not even excreted from the body, thanks to the half-life of 20+ years, as is typical for heavy metals. The net is full of methods for detoxification, I even found a detailed description of it here on the forum, but it is a lot of work. If it accumulates in us, it can cause serious problems. We know that it enters our bodies on a daily basis, just like lead and everything else. But it's one thing that you get it indirectly, and it's another thing that you do it as a cure, which could otherwise be avoided.
I'm not a chemical engineer, I just guess that the mercury present during the reaction mostly remains in the slag formed by the separated layers. And the purpose of repeated washing can be, among other things, to maximize the removal of mercury contamination. But I guess there is no guarantee that it will disappear completely.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to lecture you. I meant only those forum members who are curious about the topic. In this way, they can create an image of this based on several points of view.😊✌️

Reaction score
In my experience, aluminum foil is the best form of aluminum for amalgam. The main condition is that it does not contain any foreign components, only 99.9% Al. Powder and granules of aluminum are also suitable, but they are recommended to be taken in larger quantities for the reaction and the yield will not be as good as when using foil.

ifreezeu

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

Hi

First of all thanks :) And some questions below.

1. Acids concentration question ?
  • 50 ml of acetic acid (concentration ?)
  • 2 ml sulphuric acid (concentration ?)
I will youtube how to make this as we cannot get hold of this where I am

2. isopropyl ?
Would "IPA Isopropanol Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9%" be fine ?

3. 1-phenyl-2-nitropropene ?
  1. Does the purity matter too much , do I have to recrystallise it few times. As I am getting it from someone probably.
  2. Can I add 50Grams of 1-phenyl-2-nitropropene instead of 10Grams, would I have to adjust any amounts on the other chemicals/compounds shown in the experiment?
4. Anhydrous Acetone ?
I cannot get hold of Anhydrous Acetone as its name. Can I use this instead Acetone 100 ml 99.9% Pure ACS/Lab grade high Quality

Yields ?

How much amphetamines was produced after that experiment in grams please ?
(60-70%) of 1-phenyl-2-nitropropene ?

Regards

Last edited:

MadHatter

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Acetic acid can usually be found in shops specializing in beekeeping, along with formic acid, usually even highly concentrated. They're used for fighting parasites in the colony.
However, if you need to order larger quantities, spend a few bucks on other equipment also not to raise suspicion.

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
  • 50 ml of acetic acid (concentration ?) 95-98%
  • 2 ml sulphuric acid (concentration ?) 95-99%
  • Would "IPA Isopropanol Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9%" be fine? Yes
  • Purity is essential, as is the freshness of the precursor. Ideally, there should be light yellow crystals. If you have brown, darkened crystals of phenylnitropropene, then it is enough to recrystallize them once from isopropyl alcohol.
  • If you want to increase the load by 5 times, then you need to recalculate all other reagents proportionally. But I recommend the first syntheses to put on small amounts, such as 10 g
  • Yes, it will be anhydrous, you have a high quality of acetone.
  • If we consider the yield in grams, then when loading 10 g of phenylnitropropene, you can get 6-7 g of amphetamine sulfate.

Last edited by a moderator:

ifreezeu

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

Thank you so much.

Montecristo

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
In terms of precursor purity, would I mix with iso filtering out impurities and then evap? or freeze precipitate?
or is this just washed with iso? My p2np is pretty brown.

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
If your p2np is brown, then it should be dissolved in hot IPA alcohol, and then cooled in the freezer until the crystals fall out. They will need to be collected on the filter, and the dirty solution of alcohol will be thrown out.

Honolulu98

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
What would be the best way to obtain high purity sulfuric acid? in my country the sale of acid greater than 14.5% is restricted

MadHatter

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Actually, that way is not very good for obtaining high PURITY sulphuric acid. It can produce somewhat concentrated sulphuric acid, but the impurities will be just as concentrated.

If you want to produce concentrated sulphuric acid of high purity, you need to distill it. There are hundreds of instruction videos on youtube on how to do this. Its not very easy though, and requires a glassware distillation apparatus made from good borosilicate glassware since the distillation is done at temperatures above 300 C.

But if all you want is to make amphetamine sulphate from freebase, you don't really need high purity and that method should do fine.

ifreezeu

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

I will have to use this one day as well ;)

ifreezeu

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

You lovely chaps :)

How could this process or video be modified to work with L-PAC instead of P2NP ? That will be super cool/wicked/proper & bang on to the cause.

P2NP1-Phenyl-2-nitropropene
Phenyl-2-nitropropene
C9 H9 N O2
L-PACPhenylacetylcarbinol
1-hydroxy-1-phenyl-propan-2-one
C9 H10 O2

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
I thought about using Phenylacetylcarbinol, but it turned out to be quite difficult to buy, the substance is not used in pharmaceuticals, and there is no one on the market in China and India. But even if you find it, you need to make ephederine from it, which can be restored to methamphetamine.

ifreezeu

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

I was going to try to use this guide in the future to make it L-PAC ? https://www.thevespiary.org/talk/index.php?topic=12453.0

I am totally novice to chemistry but I know I can put the pieces together, with your guys help :)

So hopefully L-PAC with the process above could be a great fun experiment :)

layman

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me on what the GAA is responsible for?

layman

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Is there any specific reason to prefer isopropanol over ethanol?