Looking to replace alcohol

Brain

Expert Pharmacologist
Reaction score
PRyr4hWqKg

The first time I experienced the effects of mushrooms was probably the last time I ventured out to consume them. The moment it happened, I was playing Mario Kart, suddenly handed the controller to someone else, and abruptly stepped away from the screen, which became frightening to me. A familiar panic gripped me, and the only reliable outlet I knew was wine — I drank two glasses in a volley. After a few minutes, my anxiety subsided and I spent several extremely unpleasant hours waiting for the psilocybin to leave my body.

Mushrooms, a drug that I had never been particularly attracted to, had come up on the horizon for several reasons. First, it's now become popular. You can even buy chocolate with mushrooms at the liquor store (though it's not exactly legal). Second, my group of friends is free from serious commitments, such as kids, that might prevent us from spending the day relaxing with drugs. Third, in the year 2024, we are just over thirty-five, and we are in an age group interested in new ways of having fun and socializing without using traditional methods.

This traditional method is usually alcohol, which I have always been attracted to despite its poisonous nature. Alcohol consumption is responsible for 178,000 deaths in the United States each year, and one in twelve Americans suffers from an alcohol use disorder. Despite advertising claims about the benefits of red wine, even moderate consumption has been linked to certain cancers and cardiovascular disease. Alcohol causes hangovers, poor sleep, awkward texting, and more. It leaves you feeling guilty, even if you don't remember exactly what you did.​

OIw3HP8RWz

And that's where the growing interest in alternatives to alcohol comes from. «People have become more aware of what's good for their health» — says Ruby Warrington, author of Sober Curiosity. She notes that non-drinkers in 2011 had almost no choice — only sugary soft drinks, sodas, or watery non-alcoholic beer. By the late 2010s, however, things had changed, with the emergence of non-alcoholic craft breweries and Liquid Death, a water brand with an ironic approach. In parallel, the number of non-alcoholic beverages and bars increased, giving non-drinkers the opportunity to order drinks that would not seem strange in the company of drinkers.

The increase in «sober curiosity» is linked to the general interest in healthy lifestyles that began to gain popularity in the early 2010s with the advent of smartphones and social media. Perhaps we were looking to experience our bodies in a world where everything seemed abstract; perhaps we just wanted to look better for Instagram. But by 2019, there was a trend to drink less or no alcohol at all: low-calorie and low-alcohol drinks became trendy, and alcohol brands started positioning their products as suitable for keto or paleo diets. In this way, alcohol tried to shed its image as a vice in an era that increasingly condemned such habits.

The wellness industry has gone through a plethora of products designed to combat the common ailments of our time, from fatigue to anxiety, obesity to wrinkles. Alcohol can exacerbate these problems while offering a brief respite from them. However, in this wave of «snake oil», there could be an alternative that would combine all the benefits of alcohol — such as the ritual of drinking a glass of wine while cooking, enjoying a cocktail or the atmosphere of a local pub — without the inherent drawbacks of alcoholic beverages.​

W0Qfb7ITsD

The first and most obvious choice was cannabis. The 2010s marked its entry into the mainstream, starting with legalization in Colorado and Washington in 2012. By 2021, nearly half of the U.S. lived in states with legalized marijuana. In 2024, cannabis remains illegal in only four states, and about 18% of Americans have tried it in 2019, according to the CDC. For many, marijuana offers a relaxing effect with fewer health risks compared to alcohol, unless of course you are one of those who react to it with anxiety.

Also entering the arena is CBD, a legal, convenient version of cannabis that has been added to products from hand creams to dog treats throughout the 2010s, though its actual effects may be minimal.

Kava, a tonic psychoactive plant from the Pacific, has also gained popularity, and in the last decade, specialty bars offering kava have grown from 30 to 400. One popular drink, Mitra 9, positions itself as the «beer» of the sphere; according to co-founder Dallas Vasquez, it's a sense of sociability that doesn't lead to intoxication.

Mitra 9 also offers a drink with kratom, a plant from Southeast Asia that can act as a stimulant and be used to ease opioid withdrawal. According to a 2019 study, 0.7% of Americans have used kratom, with that number being higher among people with addictions. Vazquez adds that their target audience includes young mothers who are looking for alternatives to coffee for increased energy and relaxation.​

XgKFNLa93Q

It's not without mushrooms, either. A year after the pandemic began, mushrooms have become popular as an alternative to coffee, meat and interior design as well as drugs. Studies show their potential benefits not only as psychedelics, but also as therapeutic agents. Recently, many people have begun to openly discuss microdosing mushrooms and other psychedelics, claiming that it helps them to be more focused and creative. Young people are increasingly turning away from alcohol and cocaine at parties, opting for hallucinogens.

Meanwhile, TikTok regularly features new recipes for non-alcoholic cocktails, such as «sleepy girl cocktails» using cherry juice and magnesium. Even if many of these innovations act more like placebos, they are becoming part of a culture of small pleasures, interspersing everyday life with exquisite moments. At raves and nightclubs, young people are increasingly switching from alcohol, cocaine and ecstasy to hallucinogens such as ketamine, 2C-B and DMT because of their association with being more healing than harmful.

The sector of soft drinks that mimic alcohol is growing rapidly, appearing in the form of stylish aperitifs and canned cocktails. Brands such as
Kin Euphorics and GABA Labs are offering 'functional' drinks containing adaptogens and nootropics aimed at reducing stress and improving cognitive function. These alternatives aim to not just replace traditional alcoholic beverages, but to offer something more than simple flavor enjoyment.​

UgPVXSC13q

«I truly admire all of these products. They make the path much easier for people interested in sobriety or questioning their alcohol consumption. She emphasizes that in the past, alcohol rehab communities cautioned against the use of such substitutes for fear that they could cause relapse, but now the perception of sobriety as a one-size-fits-all solution is changing» — says Warrington.

Rax King, an author working on a memoir about her failed sobriety experience, says that while she is more likely to order non-alcoholic cocktails like Shirley Temple,
she occasionally uses kratom and smokes marijuana. «It broadens the understanding of sobriety. I think the variety of non-alcoholic menus and kava bars reflect people's desire to find alternatives to regular alcohol. It gives new life to the concept of sobriety, which I really appreciate» — she notes.

Still, King is distrustful of products that promise fun without negative consequences. «I've been addicted myself and can easily become addicted to any intoxicating beverage» — she says. Kratom, for example,
has the potential to be addictive, and sobriety forums discuss its harmful potential, as its popular versions can cause serious withdrawal symptoms. This came to light especially when TikToker Emmy Hartman revealed how a kratom drink that initially gave her euphoria and productivity was actually «crack refills».​

Japqk3GOml

Robert Evans, author of A Brief History of Vice: How Bad Behavior Created Civilization, shares his experience of drinking kratom since his teens, usually as a coffee substitute.

«I like the effect it has, but it is an addictive drug and it has its own consequences.Many deaths have been linked to the use of impure kratom, and I would like to see the FDA protect people without restricting their access» — he says. Tampa Bay Times reports mention that from 2021 to 2023, there are more than 2,000 kratom overdose deaths in the United States.

Despite the lack of federal regulations regarding kava and kratom (some states have restrictions and six have outright bans on kratom), in 2016 The Verge released data on 25 cases from 2004 to 2015 where kava consumption led to liver problems, severe skin manifestations, and one death from hepatitis. While this number is negligible compared to those affected by alcohol each year, more research is certainly needed to understand the health effects of these products.

In a Time article on Sentia, Anne Lembke, medical director of addiction medicine at Stanford, noted, «There’s always an expectation that some new molecule can replace an old one and still have no harmful effects. That usually doesn't work out». She cites the examples of heroin, developed as a «safe» form of morphine, and e-cigarettes, which can also be addictive. Still, the market for alternative alcoholic beverages is projected to grow to more than $29 billion by 2026, according to the WSJ.​
ZVdYiuHkj6

There is an active, albeit unofficial, movement online to criticize trends like $15 adaptogenic non-alcoholic cocktails or the concept that everything we consume should be healthy. TikToker Madi Hart voiced her displeasure in one of her videos, «Can people stop trying to convince me that our society is abandoning alcohol? It won't work, I still love alcohol. Oops, fashionistas and people promoting pot and microdosing mushrooms, you're not going to convince me with your non-alcoholic cocktail».

One particularly weird tech industry event in San Francisco, organized by Brian Johnson, went viral because of its unusual format: ice baths, push-up competitions, and a «supplement buffet» that replaced the bar. On social media, people complained about the detachment of the participants and how an over-focus on self-improvement undermined the culture. Like anti-aging skincare products for teens, craving-stopping products like Ozempic for skinny celebrities, or sterile gray homes for millennials, there is a sense that humanity is losing its individuality in the pursuit of optimization and efficiency, while the fear of risk depresses our essence.

The main reason why people consume alcohol is often quite simple and transparent. Alcohol brings joy and makes moments like weddings and awkward meetings at work more comfortable. As Evans points out, «Alcohol has no real health benefits, but it does have social benefits, one of which is its ability to alter our perceptions and behaviors. Alcohol use can open access to unique experiences that are actually beneficial» Like LSD or psilocybin, which alter consciousness, the problem with alcohol is its effectiveness. Evans explains, «Just as the diversity of opinions and experiences among people is a positive aspect, enthusiastic substances can change those perceptions».​

U32YSdVgl9

Nevertheless, behaving differently than usual is a risk in the face of near-constant social scrutiny. «A drunk person doesn't look their best on social media» — Warrington notes. On the TikTok platform, young people express nostalgia for the club culture they believe existed before smartphones, when people danced wildly to songs about drinking instead of just standing around videotaping each other. It's reminiscent of the famous scene from Sex and the City where Kristen Johnston, playing party girl Lexi Featherston, exclaims: «Nobody's having fun anymore! What happened to having fun!» She was referring to the indoor smoking ban, but it's not hard to imagine how she might deliver a similar tirade in 2024 about reducing socially acceptable drinking. (Her fate turned out to be tragic when she fell out of a window and died)

Yet, unlike banning smoking indoors, the thought of completely replacing alcohol seems almost inhuman.
Stories of Generation Z declaring an era of sanctimonious sobriety are often exaggerated or misunderstood. If we look back to early historical periods when people gathered in meaningful groups, we see that they drank together. If we look into the distant future, we can see that the last organized societies will also drink together.

What will probably change, however, is how often people drink in excessive amounts. Industrialization and mass production made alcohol more readily available, which contributed to the growth of the sober living movement.
One hundred years have passed and we are still facing the consequences of alcohol's wide availability in the form of deaths, addictions, and disease. It is not surprising that society is rethinking its attitudes towards alcohol,
as it is easier than ever to prove its harm.​

C7WmxotGDO

The main component of alcohol consumption that people seek to replace is ritual, perhaps even more so than its psychoactive effects. Throughout history, ancient civilizations did not seek to control vices and excesses the way we do today. Instead, they isolated them within special cases. As one expert notes, «In the past, people had well-defined moments when everyone came together to engage in excessive behavior in a ritualized form. I am convinced that this was a healthier approach than letting people drink whenever they wanted».

In our individualized culture, the only close analogues to such traditions - events like New Year's Eve or St. Patrick's Day — continue to be commercialized and are far removed from the true celebrations of pre-industrial times. With easy access to alcohol that anyone can afford, societies are looking for alternative ways to regulate what we know turns out to be harmful: whether it's through large-scale movements for total prohibition or the creation of elegantly designed non-alcoholic cocktails.

The world today is indeed a cruel place. It has become even more troubling and complex in the last decade. People seek to drown out their problems and treat anxiety with a variety of substances.​

EpzLAl7MB8

There is a common dream that unites people all over the world — it is the dream of an «alcohol» that is not really alcohol, but is close to it. It is a substance that can give you feelings of freedom, joy, sexuality and talkativeness without being addictive, without shortening your life and without leaving you feeling tired and anxious in the morning. It's a dream of a substance that makes taking a monthly break from it simply absurd, after all, why give up such a pleasure at all? However, such a miracle only exists in a fantasy world, as people will always find a way to turn it into something destructive.

So, we try all the available options and assess the risks — from marijuana and mushrooms to kava and cherry juice before bed. In doing so, we realize that choosing a pleasure that is known to be harmful will continue to be a part of our lives. Despite the realization that alcohol only exacerbates problems, two-thirds of Americans still choose to drink. Fortunately, for those who don't want to spend too much time drinking alcohol, there is now much more on the menu than just sparkling water.​

Last edited: