Testosterone synthesis from DHEA

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Below is the synthesis of testosterone from DHEA provided by Patrick Arnold. Protection group has been inferred and reduction method is unknown.

1. 3β-O Protection with TMSCl
2. 17β Enantioselective reduction
3. 17β Esterification
4. 3β-O Deprotection with TBAF
5. 3-O Oppenauer oxidation with simultaneous alkene rearrangement to conjugated position

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello. What is the value of your post without detailed explanation?

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
My intention was to start the discussion of testosterone synthesis as I couldn't find much online. If this is the wrong place to make my post I apologize.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
No problem. I would in your place state clearly an intention in a post :)

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
It looks like this can be simplified into a 3 step process.
1. 3-O Oppenauer oxidation with simultaneous alkene rearrangement to conjugated position
2. 17β Enantioselective reduction by Saccharomyces cerevisiae (bakers/brewers yeast)
3. 17β Esterification

I haven't found yields for androstenedione -> testosterone but based on similar substrates in Microbial Transformations of Steroids it would likely be around 70%

Microbial Transformations of Steroids. A Handbook. Willium Charney and Hershel L. Herzog. Academic Press, New York, 1967​

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
It turns out 17β is the kinetic product and can be produced with good selectivity (17α: 3%, 17β: 97%) using NaBH4 alone.
https://chemistry-europe.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/chem.202100967

The above study also shows MPV reduction has moderate selectivity (17α: 34%, 17β: 66%). I would be interested to know if simultaneous oxidation and reduction of the 3 and 17 positions can be achieved using an Al catalyst. I would imagine the conjugated 3 keto form would be favored, driving the reaction forwards.

More details about the oppenauer oxidation for my own reference https://doi.org/10.1002/recl.19370560206

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Biochemist me advises not to consume any racemic steroids since it may lead to irreversible damage that will be observed too late.

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Do you have any reason to believe 17α-testosterone (epitestosterone) is toxic? It is an endogenous steroid that exists at concentrations of approximately equal to testosterone.

View previous replies…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about it's function (there are more modern testosterone modulators with much less side effects)

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Epitestosterone is a positive allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor. It appears to be neuroprotective and a high testosterone / epitestosterone ratio seems to be correlated with autism.

SARMs are definitely something I am looking into. They seem to have their own disadvantages such as reducing estrogen levels. Once I figure out the synthesis of testosterone I will look into more tissue selective steroids like boldenone and DHT. Synthesizing fluorinated SARMs is beyond me at this point.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I hope to have been involved in motivating you to further document as I used to dive into science abbysally deep... then find my way out. I like your thinking!

MikeBlast

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
You have been. I really appreciate the feedback. I don't have a formal background in chemistry or pharmacology, so I was hoping to my work checked by this forum :)

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
passion is key... I will try to be attentive and help you whenever

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧