Correct way to test boiling point of P2P

louisbb888

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hello, Im newbie in chemist
I just try p2p from bmk sodium synthesis for the first time! and got 50ml yellow oil float in the top layer
Then i did boiling point test the p2p, but i have problem with this:
- The yellow oil start boil at 100C ( I guess because the water or acid left that not clear), I try to lower the heat to wait to evaporation acid or water left for a few minutes. But its still boiling and the thermormeter show that temp keep go up to 214 and do not go up any more! (i mean yellow oil boiling even when temperature is 100C -> 214C)
So im not sure that the yellow oil i got is p2p or not, is there any another method to test?
* I did simple test boiling point of water and its just boiling start from temp 95C-102C!
So im not sure about 100c-214c for my unsure p2p
Please give me some help or advice
Thanks

FENTAMAS

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
That's ok.
It cannot jump right to 214 °C, as there is leftover water and maybe other lower boiling solvents/impurities.
Also take into account heat capacity of mercury bulb of your thermometer.
For that reason for purifying your oil by vacuum distillation, discard first fraction until temperature become stable.
The more efficient is your column, the less product you will lose and fractions will separate more sharply.
That's also could be achieved by washing and drying your product before distillation.

The only allowed on this forum method to test your P2P is to make METH.