Gallium instead of Mercury?

RegulierTier

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Could I use GaCl3 or Ga2Cl6 and aluminium foil to reduce p2np instead of Hg/Al?
Has someone tested this? And would this work in larger scales?

Never to sleep

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Unfortunately not possible. Although Ga/Al does have shared properties with Al/Hg amalgam the Hg serves more than one role in this reaction.

The fundamental reason why this doesn't work is because Hg (and it's salts) are extraordinarily good at transferring electrons (used to be used in various electric devices) which correlates a lot to it's atmospheric pressure which is what causes it to be in a liquid state at room temp. The Al is the ultimate electron donor and the Hg mediates this electron transfer across the entire reaction due to it's high conductivity and it being dissolved in the solution since Hg salts are highly water soluble even a tiny amount of it distributes very well across the entire reaction. Theoretically it is possible to form the amalgam with elemental Hg (closer to actual Ga) but the reaction is so slow and inefficient that it's not worth the hassle. Many of the Al simply won't react like this with elemental Hg nor Ga.

Additional reasons include the fact that Ga is solid at room temperature so you'd have to heat the reaction in order to liquify it for it to even act in a similar manner to Hg.

Which brings me to point three. In theory the Ga is removed before adding the main P2NP solution but do you remember how you should wash the amalgam with water again after pouring out the contaminated water which was used at the start? (Don't put yourself under the impression that Ga would be somehow much less toxic than the Hg that you wouldn't have to wash it out). Well due to that solubility of Hg salts this washing step is actually decently good at cleaning out most of it from the reaction mixture. Now imagine trying to do this with Ga. Look up what happens when you heat it up until it's liquid and then start cooling it down even slightly. It solidifies very quickly which is for sure a problem in this case. Additionally when Ga is liquid it's surface tension is fairly low. As a result of this it is very sticky and will stick to absolutely anything you can think of. This includes your amalgamated Al as well as the flask itself and don't even get me started on how shitty of an experience is to having to clean it out afterwards because even if you proceed with the reaction by that point it has solidifies into thin layers which are now stuck on the sides of the flask and you're gonna have to heat it extensively just to get a slight amount out.

Ga is a fascinating element and still very cool to look at especially in it's liquid form. It might be useful for some applications involving Al amalgams but it simply won't work in this case to make amphetamine.

BlueDex

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
You could try using gallium salts like Gallium Trichloride. But Gallium metal would probably work better. The bad thing is that it's solid at room temperature. This could be fixed by adding indium and tin metal to it. Try mixing 69 g Gallium, 21 g Indium, and 10 g Tin. You can reduce P2NP (Phenyl-2-Nitropropene) to P2NP2 (Phenyl-2-Nitropropane) with sodium borohydride in ethanol, then try to reduce the P2NP2 to Amphetamine with aluminum galinstan amalgam.
Al/GaInSn could probably be a good alternative to Al/Hg

None

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hello, can you introduce a way to make mercury nitrate? Does it turn red from mercury?

edy's

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Murcury does not have the oxidation layer on it like gallium does,thats why it will never work,but if you find a way to break the oxidation cover,you mugt have a thing there,i thought about it ,many by introducing a sort of photoflow,but never got to it and it was just a mindspin on acid,but not sure if it will work.im no chemist like the big guys here,respect for there knowledge,chemistry is hard to learn autodidact

edy's

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
But just gallium is a no go,no matter how much you put in the reaction.been there and frustrated like a dog with 7 dicks and only one bitch

Jordan Belfort

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Gallium trichloride and iodine works