Benzaldehyde via Oxidation of Benzyl Alcohol

Fenster

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Greetings,

Benzaldehyde in some parts of the world is heavily controlled and watched. Even in Europe ordering quantity of Benzaldehyde is a red flag. Here I offer a simple reaction using easy to acquire or make reactants in conditions that are not too difficult for the amateur home scientist. I will keep this very short and attach the source document for your reference.

>>>>>>Start<<<<<<<<<

Reactants :
155.5ml BzOH
65.5ml HNo3
5g NaNo2
500ml H20
750ml Saturated NaHCO3 solution
25ml Saturated NaCl solution

Equipment :
1000ml RBF
Reflux Condenser
Temp controlled heating mantle + Mag stir
Water Bath Pyrex

Add 500ml H2O to a 1000ml RBF, put on water bath preheated to 90 C and start stirring, allow time for H20 to come to temp. Add 65.5ml HNo3 (70% conc.) followed by 5g of NaNO2 in 10ml of H2O. Add 155.5ml of BzOH. Attach reflux condenser and reflux at 90C for 240mins. Separate the organic layer and wash 3 times with saturated NaHCO3 solution and once with saturated NaCl solution. Heat to 120 C for 10mins, then simple distillation of BA, or vacuum distillation.

≥>>>>end<<<<≤

This is very simple, uses OTC reactants that are heavily used in the food industry. If one is determined enough you will find a pathway from sodium benzoate. Yields are always over 80% when the controls are well maintained. Please see the attached paper for reference. Ask any questions or feel free to post revisions. I have a photo of the setup somewhere but I think it's pretty self explanatory.

"Y'all fuck wit da war?!?"

Attachments

• DXqh80RwBz.pdf
    175.5 KB · Views: 624

blacky2340

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Can sulfuric acid be used instead of nitric acid and instead of sodium nitrite, would nitrate work as well? Or any other sodium nitrites/nitrites.

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
No and no and no.

But one can use ammonium persulfate whats a common thing sold on Amazon and Ebay for etching circuit boards. Details are on Sciencemadness (reliable) and probably Rhodiums (often questionable).