Chemistry Idiot Asking for Help

Grubby

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
1. Mix 40 grams of phenylacetone, 20 grams of methylamine hydrochloride and 200 ml of methanol, add 1 gram of sodium hydroxide to neutralize to weak alkalinity, and react at 60 degrees for 2 hours to generate an imine intermediate.
2. Add 15 grams of sodium borohydride to the imine intermediate and react at room temperature for 6 hours to generate amphetamine.
3. Add 100 ml of water to the reaction solution, separate the organic layer, and repeat washing three times. After using 100 ml of water each time, add an appropriate amount of hydrochloric acid to neutralize to pH 5.
4. Evaporate all the solvent and water, stop heating when the temperature is above 100 degrees, and the crystals are still not precipitated after cooling. Have I missed any important steps?

chef learner

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
There is not enough sodium hydroxide. When producing methylamine gas, the methanol-methylamine solution should be kept at a low temperature to ensure that the methanol absorbs the methylamine gas. Moisture will be produced in the front section. It is recommended to remove the moisture. The amount will affect the yield. The solution will reflect the loss of methylamine at room temperature. Gas, making your reaction mixture unreactive, and all you may get is P2P after wasting reagents. After adding water, you should take DCM or other solvents to extract the methamphetamine free base from the water, and then acidify

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but at least these are what I learned on the forum

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
11.851 grams of sodium hydroxide to deprotonate 20 grams of methylammonium chloride