DCM or Toluene for 4-mmc

1019er

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I'd like to know if its possible Toluene from Amazon wich is shipped in 25L Gallon is 1. safe to order ?
And 2. Is it possible to use this instead of DCM for the extraction?

If not is it possible to produce DCM on my own as a noob?

loadingST

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇧🇬
Reaction score
Completely yes, in the time i was synthesizing it i was putting a little bit xylene into dcm to make its boiling point a little higher with successful yield 70-80% every time.

I woud suggest you to obtain some triethylamine for acid screwenger and use Toluene as only solvent, dont over heat it just ...

View previous replies…

1019er

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Thx
So my ingredients will be:

2B4M - 100 g
DCM - 300 ml (Toluene)
Methylamine 40% aq solution - 200 ml
Hydrochloric acid - 50 ml
Dry acetone - 200 ml

Am I'm getting this right?

So I will have to buy the 2b4m and methylamine here.
The other stuff I can get legally.

Looking forward to start synthesis!

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
You are right, triethylamine increases the yield well, it is important to take not in full quantity, it is best to take methylamine 4 mol per mole 2b4m, toluene and similar substances are optimal solvents at a temperature of 60-65 degrees, nucleophilic substitution takes place in 2.5 hours. Dichloromethane is not the best solvent; it produces more by-products and impurities. It is also important to have the lowest possible concentration of 2b4m and the finished aminoketone in solvents, this will reduce the likelihood of side reactions, and the nucleophile should be kept at its maximum concentration in the solution.

View previous replies…

Wendy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I guess butyl amine could work as long chain primary amines are less reactive, than in this case MeNH2 as a nucleophile, no? or one would end up with mixture with N-methyl and N-buthyl alkyl grups in final product?

triethylamine is perfect l see, due to steric hindrance but not available to me.

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
butylamine is definitely a bad idea.

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
2.5 hour in 60c toluene ? And at which point is NMP added (as shown in complete video tutorial in benzene)?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Sodium bisulfite also a good option for HBr removal. An excess of methylamine also react with the acid.

Wendy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
@G.Patton
Patron

What do you think about the suggestions writen above?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Toluene is already was mentioned in a topic dedicated 4-mmc synthesis. It also can be used.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Can we get an ordered list of the preferred solvents? I have ethyl acetate but I'm not a big fan of it. I couldn't find DCM through legal channels, which I found odd because I can find a lit more sinister stuff legally. I could order toluene but I would just like to know my options.
How does triethylamine increase the yield? I noted it is an acid scavenger. What acid are we scavenging?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
HBr after nucleophilic substitution reaction with methylamine. Read my comment above.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
So by scavenging you mean are just neutralizing the acid? I don't think this is in the synth using ethyl acetate that you posted. After the methylamine and reflux I'm going to add drop wise a (6 mol? 3 mol) NaOH solution To ph what?

Dr. MMX

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
honestly, toulene has only one pro - its good solvent for 1st synthesis, you can learn faster i believe. Then when you have some knowledge about the process you can jump on other solvents and see how easy it is

if its your 1st time I thinkk its really good idea. I started this way( wasnt councious thats very hard and very bad) but learned a lot very fast way