Dead Drop Vulnerabilities?

CryoThio

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I know this form of distribution is often lauded on this forum, but I would like to discuss the vulnerabilities and downsides.

For example, it seems this is reliant on non-pgp technology, on encrypted messenger apps. While there are good ones, I'm sure this does present more ways to compromise the group.

Second, the amount of effort seems higher. On the retail end, one has to find lots and lots of stash spots, which requires lots of effort to find good ones, and continously find more as they will inevitably be discovered.

On larger scale, it's harder to have a discrete hiding spot for say pounds and up. One needs less spots, but more security and isolation around those spots.

Of course, crypto being the main currency is a pro and a con, but that's not unique to this distribution method, but does require more than cash.

I can see this being a good method even at scale, as the drop gang that supplies the grams is supplied by a drop gang that is supplied in ounces, that is supplied by a drop gang that is supplied in pounds. Layers of people not knowing each other, which imo is a huge plus.

Theoretically could be a lot harder to crack, but at the same time requires lots of technological expertise and knowledge at all levels, which most do not have.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
We never really used dead drops in my area. The other problem is location I would bet. A customer miles away may rather have it shipped I guess?

CryoThio

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Location is definitely an issue.

At least in the US, most won't want to use dead drops. They either don't want to take the extra step of getting crypto, or think they will be ripped off.

Plus, you need to be in a larger city to make any money. Most won't be interested in dead drops but a very few will, and if you have a city of a million or even more, it's more likely you'll find customers.

View previous replies…

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I bet it wouldnt be smart to use a dead drop more then once? A previous buyer might be checking the location to steal it?

CryoThio

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
It'd be best to never use one again i think. If in a large city, this would be easily doable but smaller areas might have trouble. Idk though, less customers, less locations needed.

I wonder how dead drops would work large scale. Only so many places you can fit a lb discreetly. Even larger amounts literally might have to be transported somewhere, coordinates marked, then buried in a very shallow hole.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
We need lock boxes that can only be opened by a key sent to your phone or something. But it wouldnt be long before LE would just sit right beside it and wait

HustlerFox

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
you can combine shipping products by mail and dead drops the same product for the customer in your area, in this way your opsec will increase for a % of your work. Drops of small quantities can be done in the city, on large scale you work in rural areas, for example you can bury the product and then send the coordinates encrypted with pgp. If you work in team you can also drop the product for your partner who will then ship the pack, this will another time encrease your opsec. Another thing you can do is drop various packs, collect the money in cash by your customer and then send them to the location where you have already dropped the pack, maybe not the best for your opsec but really better then carrying things with you while you are selling around your city. There are a lots of thing you can do with dead drops, just think at them with an open mind