How to extract iodine crystals from a povidone-iodine solution?

Haruwua

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Heyo! How do u extract iodine from an 11% povidone-iodine solution?
I followed the guide for extracting iodine from an alcohol solution using a polyethylene plate and water but that didnt really work out.
I do have some sodium hydroxide but i sadly dont have any hcl acid, nor any hydrogen peroxide to try out. Are there any other methods i can try out? I want to use the iodine for the red phosporus meth synthesis.
Appreciating any help!
Greetings

Dr. MMX

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
I would try to separate it via DCM and drain bottom layer out and see what will happen :)

SoldadoDeDrogas

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
There was a method where Fester captured the loose iodine in toluene or petroleum naptha. He did this with sodium hypophosphate, or hypophos- acid but I believe it will work with RP in water. So anyway, you add the iodine in toluene solution to RP in water, ideally you have a magnetic stirrer and eventually the iodine in the toluene gets reacted with the RP and creates an HI in H2O solution, which will have to be filtered and seperated from the rest, or most likely and better yet, distilled. You can tell when the iodine has been reacted/all used up when the toluene goes from purple iodine color back to a clear solvent color.

You have to get the iodine to precipitate to some extent, I think, before you can capture it into solution. So I don't know if it will work without HCl or H2O2. Sodium hydroxide is used in the povidone-iodine solution to activate and seperate all the gak that builds up.
I don't have any idea what could be subbed for HCl acid and hydrogen peroxide. I don't really understand how this works, I just know how to do it.
Good luck! o7