New Study: Complex Effects of CBD and THC on Anxiety During Alcohol Withdrawal

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
PXyBJEZlI2

A study from researchers at Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine has delved into the effects of cannabinoids, specifically cannabidiol (CBD) and ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), on anxiety-like behaviors during alcohol withdrawal. The study's findings, published in Frontiers in Neuroscience, offer new insights into the potential benefits and risks of using these compounds to alleviate alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

Background​

Alcohol use disorder (AUD) is often accompanied by anxiety disorders, with withdrawal symptoms exacerbating stress sensitivity and anxiety. Traditional treatments for AUD focus on reducing alcohol consumption, but managing withdrawal-induced anxiety remains a challenge. Cannabinoids like CBD and THC, known for their anti-inflammatory and anxiolytic properties, have emerged as potential candidates to address these issues.

Study Overview​

The research team, led by Mariam Melkumyan and colleagues, hypothesized that cannabinoids could modulate neuroimmune function in the central amygdala (CeA), a brain region crucial for regulating anxiety and alcohol intake. To test this, they exposed mice to chronic intermittent alcohol vapor and then administered either CBD alone or a 3:1 ratio of CBD:THC during acute (4-hour) and short-term (24-hour) withdrawal periods.

Key Findings​

1. CBD and Anxiety at Different Withdrawal Stages:
At 4-hour withdrawal, both CBD alone and the CBD:THC mixture increased anxiety-like behaviors.
At 24-hour withdrawal, CBD alone reduced anxiety-like behaviors, while the CBD:THC mixture had mixed effects, indicating both reduced and increased anxiety-like behaviors depending on specific measures.

2. Impact of Stress:
The study also evaluated the impact of an additional stressor during withdrawal. It was found that an acute stressor increased anxiety-like behaviors at both 4-hour and 24-hour withdrawal periods.

3. Neuroimmune Function:
Immunohistochemical analysis showed decreased counts of neuroimmune cells (S100β and Iba1) in the CeA during 4-hour withdrawal, with CBD and CBD:THC reversing these effects.
- These changes were not observed at the 24-hour withdrawal mark, suggesting time-dependent effects on neuroimmune function.

4. Plasma Analysis: Mice in 24-hour withdrawal exhibited increased THC content and faster metabolism of CBD, potentially explaining the variable effects observed.

Discussion​

The findings suggest that the timing of cannabinoid administration during alcohol withdrawal is crucial. While CBD showed promise in reducing anxiety at the 24-hour mark, it appeared to exacerbate anxiety at 4-hour withdrawal. The mixed effects of the CBD:THC mixture underscore the complexity of cannabinoid interactions during withdrawal, potentially influenced by altered metabolism and neuroimmune responses.

The study highlights the need for further research to understand the optimal use of cannabinoids in treating alcohol withdrawal symptoms. It also raises important questions about the dosage and timing of administration to maximize benefits and minimize risks.

Conclusion​

This research marks a significant step forward in understanding the nuanced effects of cannabinoids on anxiety during alcohol withdrawal. As the search for effective treatments continues, these findings offer a foundation for developing more targeted and effective therapeutic strategies for individuals battling AUD and its associated anxiety disorders.

For those interested in the detailed findings and methodologies, the full study is available in Frontiers in Neuroscience (Clearnet). This article aims to engage readers by presenting complex scientific findings in an accessible and intriguing manner, highlighting the relevance and potential impact of the research on treating alcohol use disorder and related anxiety.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I have seen this. I do wonder how much the placebo effect (whatever that is, it is still an effect) played in it. I would have to know more how the study was preformed. Was it double blind?

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
The study was conducted on mice. I think the placebo effect can be ignored

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Fair but how do you tell if mice have anxiety ? Just judge on their activity? I have heard good things from people who have used it for multiple aliments

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
Scientists use a variety of behavioral tests to assess anxiety in mice, rather than just judging based on general activity. These tests are designed to exploit natural behaviors of mice in situations that cause anxiety. Check for example Elevated Plus Maze, Open Field Test, Social Interaction Test.

These tests are often used in combination to provide a more comprehensive assessment of anxiety in mice. The interpretation of these behaviors involves comparing them to the baseline behavior of normal mice, as well as looking at changes in behavior after administering anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing) or anxiogenic (anxiety-inducing) substances.

Of course, this approach cannot give us all the answers, but it is all we have today.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Sounds like human trials should be coming then

Locasner

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Do you think that can grounding exercises can reduce anxiety and stress?

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
If you mean a person outside of alcohol withdrawal, then of course exercise can help, to some extent. In the presence of withdrawal, it can be an additional, supportive option, as a rule. It is not worth relying on it completely.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
IDK what exactly a grounding exercise is. However regular physical activity can reduce stress and help treat some forms of depression.. I haven't heard much about it treating anxiety but it couldn't hurt