Should we continue to use Telegram ?

HewHiSt

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
FaRur4jkiP

Pavel Durov, Franco-Russian (French nutritionalized in 2021) billionaire and CEO of Telegram was arrested at Le Bourget airport last Saturday and indicted Wednesday evening, after spending 4 days in detention (police custody)

The French justice system accuses Pavel Durov of not acting against the dissemination of criminal content on his application, which could cost him heavy sanctions
(In total, the judicial investigation opened against him on July 8th concerns twelve offenses)

Source: Paris prosecutor, Laure Beccuau

Knowing that he fled Russia to protect the privacy of his users by refusing to give the FSB access to our information

The founder of Telegram was released and is subject to heavy judicial control,
which provides for the obligation to pay a bail of 5 million euros or about $5.5 million and to report to the police station twice a week, and a ban on leaving French territory

Source: Paris prosecutor, Laure Beccuau

Pavel Durov risks up to ten years in prison.
Billionaire's lawyer, David-Olivier Kaminski, said that :

"it is totally absurd to think that the head of a social network could be involved in criminal acts that do not concern him, neither directly nor indirectly"

After Mr. Durov’s arrest, the company, which is based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, said that it abides by E.U. laws and that “it is absurd to claim that a platform or its owner are responsible for abuse of that platform.”

In addition, Pavel Durov is also the subject of an investigation for "serious violence" against one of his children, the youngest (complaint filed by his wife in Switzerland)

International reactions :

Elon Musk reacted by creating #FreePavel before publishing a new message saying

"Liberté, Liberté! Liberté?"

(Liberté = Freedom)

"The arrest of Pavel Durov is an attack on the basis of human rights to communicate"

whistleblower Edward Snowden further lashed out

"I am surprised and deeply saddened that Emmanuel Macron has stooped to the point of taking hostages in order to gain access to private communications. This demeans not only France, but the entire world"

Dmitry Peskov, the spokesman for the Russian presidency, said on Tuesday that :

"the accusations made are very serious and they require equally solid evidence"

denouncing an "attempt at intimidation"

Source : France Bleu

Breaking news :

"Telegram CEO, Pavel Durov, asked to have French billionaire Xavier Niel notified of his detention on Saturday evening, BFMTV has learned, confirming information from AFP. This is the first call that the Telegram CEO made, but it is not known whether he managed to speak to the Free CEO on the phone. Contacted by AFP, Xavier Niel's entourage has not yet responded"

NwjArikCuK

"The founder of Iliad is one of the big bosses close to President Emmanuel Macron. According to another source close to the case, Pavel Durov mentioned during his police custody his ties with the head of state in particular. The two men had lunch together in 2018. For reasons that the authorities never wanted to communicate" (BFMTV)

echelon

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
If the French government accesses this data, it will primarily impact minor offenders who are not anonymous and who may face consequences due to their own poor decisions.

In contrast, the Chinese Communist Party has access to vast amounts of global data, yet this issue seems to receive little attention nowadays.

You can still use Telegram, but it's important to remain vigilant about your privacy. :)

If you're interested in this topic, I shared a thread about the Telegram algorithm a month ago.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I think its an area I would be super weary of at the moment.. I see something big happening to it

DontGetUp

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
You should never start using Telegram for illegal activity

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I agree Telegram is not ideal for good OPSEC. It can be done but even then scammers are everywhere