Would the NaBH4 / CuCl2 reduction work for TMA?

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Iv been making a few b-nitrostyrene’s (mainly) but I also made the nitropropene corresponding to TMA, seeing as I’m making mescaline anyway.
I plan to proceed to reduce the nitrostyrene’s via NaBH4/CuCl2, I’m just curious if that would be okay for the reduction of the 3,4,5-TMOnitropropene to the final TMA I am after?
chatgpt says it’s okay but then it’s given me some dodgy advice a few times 🤣

thanks

Swirly

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Well it works for P2NP to amine so it should work on other nitropropenes. However on The Vesp there is a post writing that for DOM, TMA-2, reduction there is a problem with crystallization. Get some sort of oil that does not crystallize. (could be wrong choice of salt)

However post only by one member. I suggest you register on The Vesp. and take time to study and search around there.

Here is the relevant post:

Should def. work IMO.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Interesting - I’m thinking it’s going to work. Is certainly worth a try…I do have LAH but am a little scared to use it at this stage TBH, but I guess the worst that happens is I fudge this 5g of nitropropene up and make more - I have like 480g of the starting aldehyde left so meh.

This is essentially what I thought anyway lol
I’ll try it on a 1g scale first I guess….

To be fair, I’m going to try the mescaline reduction first with this method, so we’ll see - I’ll update when I have more news on this….