Dextroamphetamine Synthesis (Nabenhauer, 1942)

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
We took 6g of racemate = 3 g of D-amph+3 g of L-amph
We got
2.63g yield = x%
3.0g theory = 100%

2.63*100/3=87.7%

Pororo

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
Thanks for an interesting study. But I'm surprised with your tartaric acid proportions.
6g of amph sulphate is 3.49 g of racemic amph base. Then why do you use 2.45 g of d-tartaric? It shall come in molar proportions 1:4, i.e. 0.97g of d-tartaric is enough???

Last edited:
View previous replies…

Pororo

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
Dear, it looks you forgot that tartaric acid bonds two molecules of base. The same as sulphuric. You need to divide [ 0.01632 moles (2.45g/150.09g/mol) ] / 2 = 1.23

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
75ckpt4HSC

1:1 same as for meth

Pororo

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
Have you done this part by yourself?
I did. I was pretty surprised, with result, then I checked properties..
It works the same as sulphuric: one molecule of d or l tartaric acid bonds 2 molecules of base.
I guess there is the same mistake in your dextrometh explanation. Or excess of acid is added for some other technical reason, (reduce solubility for example)

Last edited:

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
How have you established this fact?

Pororo

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
In certain solvents you see it clear, when your add acid salt starts to precipitate immediately.
You know the weight, so you know how much acid you need to add.
If you add a part of the whole acid, you may filter solids and add more, and see if salt precipitates or nor.
Salt stops precipitate approx as you reach molar 1:4.
Yield is around 95.
Try to do it, and you will see. Or better check tartaric acid spec.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi. I read the source of this method again [attached to the post] and found that I was incorrect in my opinion but you also incorrect in yours, dear @Pororo.

As author said, two moles of phenylethylamine react with one mole of d-tartaric acid and form the solution of neutral salt d,l-phenylethylamine d-tartrate (as you said, 2 moles of amine and 1 mole of acid). D-phenylethylamine salt is dissolved in the solution while l-isomer is precipitated. So that my proportions are correct but meaning of my words in comments above was not.
BYkt8cau3g

I really appreciate for you notes and comments, you've helped to find mistake.

Pororo

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
I don't know how you count, but of course there is NO ANY mistake in my calculations.
If you want to acidify the whole 1 mole of base with DL-tartaric, you need to use 0.5 mole of this acid.
If you want to extract only D or L from 1 mole of base with D or L-tartaric, you need to use 0.25 mole of D or L acid accordingly.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I sent you above the quotation of Nabenhauer method. Please, read full article carefully. I tell the same.

In accordance with this article, if you take the proportion like you said (1moles amine with 0.25 moles of d-tartaric acid), you'll get 0.2-0.25 moles d-amine d-bitartrate in the precipitate from 1 moles of amine free base.

YPkdf9lQsb

The equasion of this reaction (from quotation):

1 mole d,l-amine + 1.2 mole d,l-tartaric acid = 0.5 mol of d-amine d-bitartrate (2 parts of amine bace per 1 part of acid)
the salt is precipitated

you take
1 mole d,l-amine + 0.25 mole d-tartaric acid = 0.25 mol of d-amine d-bitartrate as I suggest. Probably, you may get d-amine d-tartrate (1:1 base:acid) salt, which is also insoluble in this solvent. It's hard to predict. I haven't seen details of your experiment. Only your words.

If you wanna prove your argument, perform your experiment with pictures in comment section or new post.

Last edited:

Pororo

Buying through escrow
New seller
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Deals
I got your idea. I don't know why you believe you are going to get bitartrate. May be because of ethanol.

If I understand terms correctly, tartrate means 1:2, but bitartrate means 1:1 molar proportions!!!

But I don't use ethanol. I use other solvents.

What I know, crystallization stops as soon as 0.25 moles of acid consumed with yield 95%. Then, if 0.25 moles of opposite acid is added, precipitation will start again with yield 95%.
And now, when 0.25 of L and 0.25 of D were applied, if I try to add more D or L or DL acid to mother liquor - nothing happens. It looks there is no base, ph is also acidic.
For the prove, may be, may be, on occasion. Not sure when I will do amph separation again, end of September may be.

Last edited: