Looking to do a Henry reduction on 3,4,5-trimethoxybza…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I wouldn't compromise the synthesis with doubtful nitro alkanes, especially if EU based.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Yeah people keep saying that but I sided all my nitromethane from the EU and distilled it from a 40%w/w nitromethane;DCM mix, worked great for making b-2,5-DMONS.

The issue for me is finding each relevant catalyst for each aldehyde I want to perform the Henry reaction on….

I was thinking about trying the reductive amination of cyclohexylamine from cyclohex using, I believe, ammonia, zinc and CaCl2…

We’ll see - my backup is o jut buy a bottle but my dudes away at the mo anyway…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Catalysts I worked with either heard often about are n-buthylamine, cyclohexylamine, ethylene diamine and even monoethanolamine. Ethylamine also works despite it being a 70% solution in water.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Yeah. I realised a dude is selling cyclohexylamine hydrobromide - so that SHOULD be fairly straight forward to obtain the freebase from for catalysis of 3,4,5-TMOBA , of which I have 500g coming this week.

i just hope it will be pure enough to give me a good product for catalysis…should I do a re-x on the cyclohexylamine hydrobromide, whilst it’s still a salt to make sure it’s as pure as can be?

My procedure other than a re-x first would be;

1. Dissolve in water
2. Add a conc. Base solution to liberate the freebase from the salt
3. Add DCM to the mix and shake (I guess, provided it doesn’t already separate as an oil layer)
(4.If I do have to use DCM, remove it under vacuum - I was doing some research and to get rid of DCM at ambient temps my RV oil pump is fine and will need a ball valve so the DCM doesn’t boil too low.)

Does this sound reasonable? Obviously I’d dry the DCM mix before ridding it of DCM if I have to use it and the cyclohexylamine doesn’t seperate into its own oily layer in the sep funnel.

Swirly

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Hey. I have experience making both 3,4,5-Trimethoxynitrostyrene (TMNS) and 2,5-Dimexthoxynitrostyrene (DMNS). Won't read over this whole thread but will paste my thoughts from a post I made on another forum as regards to the choice of catalyst:

2-HEAA (2-(hydroxy)ethylammonium acetate) from ethanolamine and glacial acetic acid does seem to work better on 3,4,5-Trimethoxybenzaldehyde than ethylenediamine (as ethylenediamine diacetate) does. Recently I ran two experiments on 150g 3,4,5-TMBA.

For the first batch of 150g I used 1.6 mol. eq. of nitromethane to the TMBA and a 1.5 mol. eq. of ethanolamine to the TMBA.
First I poured the NM onto the TMBA, and continued pouring glacial acetic acid until the TMBA dissolved. As for the GAA amount I believe I poured 161 mL or 2.81 mol. of GAA + then I used (1.5x 0.765 mol) of GAA to make the 2-HEAA in a separate container. So it was a total of 3.96 mol. eq. of GAA I used it seems. Hmm... Might be that 4 mol. eq. of GAA is a good amount to use.

Used a 1:1 ethanolamine to GAA mol. eq. to make the 2-HEAA. Poured at once the ethanolamine onto the GAA. The mixture heated up suddenly to 120 °C, fumes are released. Mixed for a bit and covered the separate beaker, cooled the mixture to slightly above room temp. Anyway, made sure the TMBA + NM + GAA was fully dissolved, and dumped in the thick, syrupy 2-HEAA at once. Immediate colour change, I heat to 35 °C and let it spin. Turns slightly darker, yellow close to orange. Sometime between the 1h 30 min and 2 hr mark the whole beaker became a thick mass. Everything precipitated out, but I was away and did not witness the sight. The colour is very pretty. A perfect yellow.

But I could not dry anything and weigh anything as my pump broke.

Later I recrystallized in a guesstimate of 8 mL/g MeOH. Could be that you could use even less MeOH. Somewhere on this forum it might be written 0.2 g/ mL 3,4,5-TMNS to methanol. But here is where I screwed everything up. As usual with the re-x I screw up. For some strange reason I decide to do a hot filtration, bunch lost on the filter paper. Then I poured a bunch down the drain. Poured out the mother liquor. So yield was poor, but still had a decent amount of some very pretty looking 3,4,5-TMNS.

With the second batch of 150g I once again went with a 1.6 mol. eq. of nitromethane, but now used less ethanolamine, a 1.3 mol. eq. to the TMBA. I also prepared the 2-HEAA separately. Mixing GAA and ethanolamine stuff really heats up, so I take the heat away from the NM and TMBA. This time I also used a total of 5 mol. eq. of GAA (a portion poured onto 3,4,5-TMBA + NM, and a portion used to make the 2-HEAA). Now I spun for a longer time with more heat, first at 45 °C, then I dropped to 35 °C. Nothing precipitated out like last time. When I stopped mixing and removed from heat, as the mixture cooled, then did crystals begin to appear. I sucked almost dry with a mostly working pump, then I recrystallized with 8 mL/g IPA. I could have used even less IPA, as it heats up everything should dissolve. Maybe even with 7 mL/g IPA.
Why not just use IPA instead of MeOH?

But this time the batch was a bit darker yellow and yields were poor.

Next time when preparing 3,4,5-TMNS I would use a 1.8 - 2 mol. eq. of ethanolamine, 1.8 - 2 mol. eq. nitromethane, 4 mol. eq. of GAA or the amount to dissolve TMBA.

And also in conclusion ethanolamine (used as 2-HEAA) for 3,4,5-TMNS does seem to be a better pick than ethylenediamine (used as ethylenediamine diacetate) makes for a cleaner product. But also could be other variables like heat I used before.

2,5-DMNS seems to be very easy and forgiving to prepare, also super cool watching the orange hairs appear. 3,4,5-TMNS less forgiving but also not that difficult, just use 2-HEAA.

Maybe others are interested but this 2-HEAA also gives 95%+ yields in the production of P2NP, it really is great stuff.

Last edited:

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
That’s very interesting and useful info indeed!!

People’s timing on this forum seems to be really on point!

Last time someone gave me their 2,5-DMOBA-> b-2,5-DMONS right on the day I needed it and it worked really well….

Now this time, I literally tried the other (ammonium acetate) route shulgin mentioned yesterday and I just vacuum filtered it and it feels like a decent amount.

Nice bright yellow crystals - although I still need to dry, weigh then re-x but I’m guessing I got good results.
I halved all shulgin’s amounts and was expecting for it to run for 3h like his, however I slightly overheated and it started going dark in around half the time he used. Then again I don’t think he used stirring and also a steam bath, where as I used a mantle with stirring so that may have affected it? F knows.

I am interested in messing around with your idea though for sure!

This is my current batch that needs a re-x…
ApxzCw5qs3

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I am for sure going to try this, will read in detail when I get home.
I realised I’m going to have a fair bit of ethylenediamine left over after running out of 2,5-DMOBA, and this allows you to use less nitromethane than the synth I follows - that’s the real bottle neck so yeah. Interesting!

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
That route you mentioned sounds really interesting but annoyingly at the moment I have to work with what I have…

I had good success using ammonium acetate yesterday to make the b-3,4,5-TMONS - I followed shulgins method but when that was refluxing I watched the mescaline / TMA synthesis video and so today I decided to try the same reaction only using nitroethane Instead of NM.

This time, as I have such a low amount of nitroethane I will probably reflux it, let it cool and stand overnight and then do a vacuum distillation (probably using a water bath) to retrieve some of it and then re-x whatever is left over if it doesn’t crystallise on cooling…

We’ll see…

Swirly

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
This seems to be the correct colour but it looks very chunky and wet still. I remember reading that the excess nitromethane is hard to get rid of, so that is why in general I think you should use an excess of GAA instead for these reactions. Might also be that GAA results in a cleaner product. Will say again if you lower the amount of GAA as much as possible, then it might be that everything falls out beautifully after less than an hour.

Interesting what the yields are for 3,4,5-TMNS for the classic ammonium acetate vs. 2-HEAA.

Good luck, but I would proceed with the 7.5 mol eq. sodium boroydride + 0.15 mol. eq. Cu(II)Cl reaction instead of LAH. Would use this for all nitrostyrenes,

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Okay yeah I shall do that to be fair - that was my go to. I’m just interested in using the LAH before it sets alight! lol just kidding it’s stored well.