Mescaline Synthesis With Nitromethane. 1000g Scale.

Mr Gonzo

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi with regards to the LAH is there something else thats is more easy to obtain and use in its place, or is there some way I could be instructed on how to buy the hydride from somewhere with minimal hassle? Tried a place in India and they was having none of if! I'm based in UK

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Does the second bit of this synth work nicely scaled down to say a 5g starting nitrostyrene quantity? Or do the solvents scale differently? I’m about to try this…

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Oh one more thing, can I reduce the corresponding nitropropene for TMA in the same manner? It seeems okay but it would comfort me to know someone has done it!

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
This is bugging me - I’m about to perform your reaction and have scaled everything down but I still find myself wondering this…

Why do you say to add the b-3,4,5-TMONS in portions as a powder, as opposed to dissolving it and adding dropwise?

Is it a scale thing that I’m missing because I have never worked on a scale even close to this?

Swirly

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Dump in the nitrostyrene about 3 large spoonfuls at a time under crushed ice-salt-bit of water cooling. The sodium borohydride/IPA/h20 should be cooled to about 5 -8 celcius when you begin the nitrostyrene addition, as when you add a larger amount of nitrostyrene it does heat up some.

If you pour everything in at once it will be a runaway volcano, crazy action, too much heat.

Keep it under 26 - 28 C. Depending on the nitrostyrene and amount, addition might take over an hour. You will need to add more ice if taking a long time and working with lets say 100g.

If yours is a small amount, might be able to dump everything in at once without temp. spiking too much.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Yeah I’m literally just testing on a 5g scale at the moment.

Iv been learning and due to the fact there is such a difference in the amount being added, I’m assuming I didn’t reflux it long enough.

I think I was expecting it to be way more exothermic than it was, due to the fact I did such a small scale reaction and therefore it was quite a bit cooler than the synth said upon addition. I don’t think I let it react for long enough at around 75c.

Im surprised by your temps to be honest but I guess as you say it differs depending on which styrene you are using? I dunno…it’s strange that it didn’t look like the organic solvent extracted anything out of the aqueous phase tbh.

Swirly

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Yes, 2,5-DMNS seemed to give off less heat and did not react as vigorously as 3,4,5-TMNS at the same amounts. I was able to add the DMNS quicker and it fully dissolved, i.e. no orange/yellow was left. While I could not get the reaction mixture to go fully milky white with 3,4,5-TMNS, always a touch of yellow left.

I read elsewhere that temps are kept below 30 C during addition. Someone wrote that it increases yield or something. This was for 2,5-DMNS I believe, so I do this for 3,4,5-TMNS as well. Keep it all under the ice.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Ahhh okay I get you.
That all makes sense…

Honestly, I used my first lot of the 3,4,5-NS in the first reaction and didn’t get squat out of it (5g scale). Not exactly sure where I went wrong but it certainly didn’t get too hot but I also didn’t let it react for very long at all….I just know when I went to extract the aqueous layer with DCM there was next to nothing in it…

Oh well, I often f up first go…so we’ll see but I also had to knock up more of the nitrostyrene as I can get more NM where as NE is more expensive and the 2,5- aldehyde I have less of as it’s more expensive compared to 3,4,5.

Oh I’m also going to write everything I do in the next reduction down lol