Methylphenidate (Ritalin) synthesis

cokemuffin

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Would you get other esters of ritalinic acid if you'd do the last step in other solvents (IPA = isopropylphenidate, EtOH = ethylphenidate etc.)?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, yes, you will.

View previous replies…

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi. NaOH in IPA will completely spoil your ritalin*HCl. You can get ritalin freebase by aqueous NaOH and then carry out esterification.

cokemuffin

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So would the process be to put the ritalin hcl in NaOH solution, get the ritalin freebase and then just put that in ipa to get isopropylphenidate? I'd guess the hcl should be added after esterfication to not replace the OH from the carboxyl group with a Cl, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello, sorry for a long reply. I haven't seen you question.
No, eterefication isn't work like you describe. You have to get Ritalinic acid sodium salt and then get ester with IPA in acidic condition.
It won't work like you told =) What is a reason for these manipulations? Actually, I'm not sure that reaction will be sucsess. Moreover, you'll loose part of your ritalin.

View previous replies…

cokemuffin

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Never looked into eterefications, but if doing full synthesis appears to be the only viable option anyways, i guess i don't even have to. Instead i searched a bit more for routes to get methyl phenylglyoxylate. Thought about getting it from benzoyl chloride might be a good option, but i've only found syntheses that involve cyanides. Gringard reagents instead of cyanides would make it much safer but for some reason i couldn't find a synthesis of the reaction beneath anywhere?

ZLXaYEy1j0

I guess you could just replace benzyl chloride with benzoyl chloride and do the same reaction as you'd do to get PAA, but i'm not sure if there's something interfering.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello, there is oxygen. You can't carry out such synthesis.

cokemuffin

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Fuck, now i at least know it interferes. benzoyl chloride and CuCN is the only way from benzoyl chloride then?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
For what? It is not PAA (phenylacetic acid).

cokemuffin

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Ik, if you use benzyl chloride instead in the reaction above it gives you PAA. Thought using benzoyl chloride instead of benzyl chloride will give phenylglyoxylic acid, but since the oxygen interferes in the reaction the only way i know instead would be to use cyanides instead:

0ax1NDIqsJ

Lordoftheshard

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I no this is a bit off topic I have a friend who has stick piled these tabs 10 mg
He asked me if there is any way you can extract the ritalin out of the tabs and make it into a smoke able form like meth

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, acid/base extraction

View previous replies…

Lordoftheshard

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thankyou sir as I tried normal Extractions first with ethanol doesn't matter if you filter and so forth end up blockers and other junk#. Coming over with it buy coincidence I seen your thread and though I would ask and brother thankyou this is the only way you can extract ritalin clean and properly I looked on Reddit and so forth I haven't seen any one elses as clean as this

Attachments

• j1gZSEdOpJ.jpg
    j1gZSEdOpJ.jpg
    927.1 KB · Views: 259

Lordoftheshard

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I first dyd alcohol extracting bug blockers etc kept coming over with it
Then I did ab extraction to get this

toffifee

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hello everywhere, can you help me find a marketplace to buy 1-Phenyl-2-(piperidin-1-yl)ethanone-1,2-dione. or Methyl phenylglyoxylate ? What is the best website for ordering reagents and laboratory equipment? CIS countries

blackshwan

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hello @G.Patton .

About this step (refluxing).
[The reaction mixture was gently refluxed for 3-12 hours with reflux condenser (as determined by monitoring by TLC). ]

What is the temperature of the heat souce? Thanks.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello. The temperature, which would be enough to boil the mixture of 1-phenyl-2-(piperidin-1-yl)ethane-1,2-dione (1) in dimethoxyethane was added p-toluenesulfonhydrazide (2) (1.1 equivalent) at normal conditions (22*C, 760 mm Hg).

dupskoslonia

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have ritalinic acid. What do I need to make metylphenidate and etylphenidate? I'm a complete newbie, could you please explain me step by step? Would be really grateful

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You need to convince your carbonyl group to make an ester with methanol and ethanol respectively. This is pretty straight forward by standard chemical means and try looking for rather mild methods such as enzymes (lipases) or easy to work with ClSiMe3 in methanol with substrate.

kotkata

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Is there a protocol or beginner's guide or recipe of some sort to convert ritalinic acid to methylphenidate?

To my understanding it's not rocket, but I'm a bit confused how to get methylphenidate from ritalinic acid.

View previous replies…

untryrgos

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi, thank for your synthesis way.I follow your way and some difference appeared.when I make sure all acid disappear and finished first step,I found so much salt separation. Is it the Methylphenidate sulfate? The pH is about 1 to 2.

Attachments

• 1UutT2HidC.jpg
    1UutT2HidC.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52