Tramadol (Ultram) synthesis

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After most than 8 attempts, I didn’t succeed to produce Tramadol, at least, no more than 5mg but probably other molecule.

Know, my Grignard reaction is correct, the temperature to ignite 3-Bromoanisol+Mg flakes seems to be 70°C +/-2°C under constant agitation (the agitation is important to scratch the Mg surface and remove the oxide. At least in one good point.

Then I think my problem come from Mannich synthesis : my product DON’T crystalize in acetone : crystals are forming a denser liquid phase automatically.
I remove 95 % of the acetone and make the denser liquid phase evaporate on 60°C plate, to harvest white crystals.

But then, if I try to recrystallize them again from acetone, the same way, the product lose 70 % of weight and keep same properties.

As the 2-dimethylaminomethyl-cyclohexanone hydrochloride should melt near 157-158°C, I assume they are not the Mannich.HCl expected right ?

Does anyone can give me some tip ? Or better, try himself and share his result please ?

(here, a picture of « fake » Mannich.HCl crude 10mmol, before recrystallization.)

Attachments

• gfz01QYmLN.jpg
    gfz01QYmLN.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 382

IHeisenberg

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I’m having trouble with grignard
Now I practically react 2-dimethyl aminomethyl cyclohexanone with Grignard reagent and I see temperature rises with every drop of the free base but when I quench the reaction with ammonium chloride I see small temperature rises with only few drops .
After distillation of the solvent and adding acid ( hydrochloric acid ) the product didn’t crystallize.
Maybe some moisture get contacted with the reaction because the apparatus may not well sealed.
Can this moisture breakdown the reaction Before quenching.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Why did you quenched the reaction with NH4Cl?

IHeisenberg

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Remind ☝🏻☑️

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Please, don't spam like this. It's worth to write me in DM instead.