Ketamine synthesis

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
You need to reach base pH 12-13, not really matter concentration.

neoking8

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hello Sir, after the sol was made to PH 12-13, a lot of gel appeared and make the extraction by EA almost impossible. Any advice?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, write please about what step are you talking about, what solution do you mean?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
8. o-Chlorophenyl cyclopentyl ketone.
To the thus obtained Grignard soln there’s added 48 g o-chlorobenzonitrile and the mixture is stirred for 3 days at RT. It is then poured into a mixture of ice/NH4Cl, with addition of some conc. aq. NH3 and left at ambient temp until all ice melts. The ketone partially floats, partially goes to the bottom. It’s extracted with benzene(Use 100 mL x2 times). The yields fluctuate, but rarely drop below 55%.

Step 2: alpha-bromo (o-chlorophenyl)-cyclopentyl ketone.
To 21.0 g of the above ketone is added 10.0 g of bromine in 80 ml of carbon tetrachloride dropwise at 0 °C. After all the Br2 has been added, an orange suspension forms. This is washed with a dilute aqueous solution of sodium bisulfite (~65 mL x2 of 10% solution) and evaporated to give 1-bromocyclopentyl-(o-chlorophenyl)-ketone, bp 111-114 °C (0.1 mm Hg). Yield is ~66%. This bromoketone is unstable and must be used immediately. Also, attempts to distill it at 0.1 mm Hg lead to some decomposition, so it should be used without further purification.

kkk

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Sir,how to start making o-Chlorophenyl cyclopentyl ketone.

View previous replies…

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello, what exactly don't you understand?

kkk

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Sir,I'm trying to do this now, but I'm not sure if it's correct.,

Step 1: Add 1 mL of chlorocyclopentane, 10 mL of triethylamine, 0.1 g of iodine, 7 g of magnesium powder and 10 mL of tetrahydrofuran into a three-necked flask, stir and heat to 70 °C to initiate the reaction; Step 2: Heat to 80 °C, add 15 mL of triethylamine and 30 mL of tetrahydrofuran, slowly drop 29 mL of chlorocyclopentane, reflux for 3 h to obtain a Grignard reagent; Step 3: Drop 26 g of a mixed solution of o-chlorobenzonitrile and 80 mL of tetrahydrofuran, maintain 80 °C, and reflux for 6 h; Step 4: After cooling to room temperature, add 200 mL of water, then drop 10 mL of concentrated hydrochloric acid, maintain 50 °C, and react for 5 h; Step 5: Cool to room temperature, take the upper tetrahydrofuran solution, remove tetrahydrofuran by rotary evaporation at 80 °C, and then heat to 165 °C to remove o-chlorophenylcyclopentanone, and obtain 23.4 g of a synthetic o-chlorophenylcyclopentanone sample with a yield of about 52%.

kkk

Don't buy from me
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
how to say

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
You can substitute decalin by cyclohexane, probably

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Cyclohexane has a boiling point of 81 °C what would mean the thermal rearrangement would need 7 to 10 days at reflux. But then one could use IPA, same bp and it is known to work from literature (7 to 10 days at reflux).

Ethylbenzoate works.
Ethylene Glycol is another solvent which works and of better availability.

The yield is never near to quantitative, actually when using the Ketimine as base yields suffer, for decent yields the HCl salt must be used. It must also be done under strictly anhydrous conditions or yields suck. (the Imine will hydrolyze back to MeNH2, unsurprisingly regarding the rigorous conditions).

The rearrangement is catalyzed by Lewis Acids, MgCl2 And AlCl3 (anhydrous) work well. 0,1 mol equivalent are needed but AlCl3 can also take care of any water still present, the amount used must be adjusted of course, say X g needed to scavenge the water plus 0,1 mol to catalyze the reaction.
The use of AlCl3 reduces the temperature needed to ~130 °C (to take the same time as 180 °C would take un-catalyzed).

Another tip: Stay away from CCl4 the stuff is not just toxic but its mean and hard to get for good reasons. Gladly it is completely unnecessary for brominating the alpha position. The foolproof way to do this is by using CuBr2 what does the job quantitativly and without side-reactions.
For reaction conditions just Google "Bromination with CuBr2" and you will quickly find the standard conditions for this described and those work perfectly well in this case.

Tweaker

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You mean you must hcl gas the methylketimine before the rearrangement to have decent yields?

joejoe

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Sir,Need to heat to a boil?How long does it take to mix in total?How do know that the reactants have reached saturation after the addition of methylamine?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I said no, you don't need.
You have to leave reaction for one day (24 hours).

joejoe

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
thank you,sir

Sciencenutz

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Is the precursor and methylamine supposed to be a 1-1 mol? Asking for scaling up

mygodson

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
If this Grignard reaction is not ideal, o-chlorobenzaldehyde can be used, which is easy to react to produce alcohol and then oxidize.

dafuhao

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I wonder where I can get these materials.

Dopey

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
1-bromocyclopentyl-(o-chlorophenyl)-ketone (CAS 6740-86-9) is commercially available. It is being sold in forms of white powder or brown oil. You mentioned “This bromoketone is unstable and must be used immediately”, if that’s the case then how do they sell it. The solution has a very dark color in most of the photos, is there any point in buying them?
And how about the powder? How can we use the powder?

neoking8

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
seems no way to find a vendor for 6740.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, it can be stored in a fridge under inert atmosphere. But I'm not sure that it's commercially available.

Dopey

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Well, I searched the CAS number on google, and there were a lot of sellers on Echemi, Chemical book, etc. I even saw some sellers on here (bb), you can try.

But if it has to be stored in a fridge and under inert atmosphere then it’s probably not the best option.

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Same as with all highly reactive compounds which are sold: A stabilizer (or a mix of) is added, what else? That it has to be kept below 8°C and such is just for insurance reasons to shift responsibility as this way if something goes wrong the buyer has to prove that it was always below 8°C what is quite difficult to do. It is not like: "If not kept cold and inert it will explode" but it is "might go bad quickly after opened but thats your own fault, stop bitching we told ya".
Things you made yourself go bad fast as impurities catalyze deterioration and you often do not have the right preservatives.

kaka

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
after 95 °C for 3-4 hrs,and extracted with 20% HCl. Acidic extract is basified and extracted with DCM. Solvent is removed, giving the product as an oil that DONT crystallizes. Instead, it become extremely sticky brown color oil. and cant not recrystallization from pentane/ether or hexane/ether. any tips?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Try to use vacuum chamber for a day. Did you scratched the oil in these solvents by glass rod, tried to place into a fridge?