4′-Methylpropiophenone bromination to 2-bromo-4'-methylpropiophenone. Large scale.

Throw-off

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I was sent 2-bromo-4-Methylpropiophenone instead of 4-Methylpropiophenone, would sodium hydroxide reflux eliminate the 2-bromo?

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
you can immediately obtain the substance you need from alpha-bromo-4-methylpropiophenone, write the CAS number of the substance you received

View previous replies…

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You need an ordinary propiophenone and then brominate and get alpha-bromopropiophenone, or you use the finished alpha-brophyophenone immediately.
How do you want to remove 4-methyl from MMC, I don't understand)))

Shehry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hi friends, I have preceded the reaction with 60 ml of 4 Methyl propiophenone and rational quantities of HBr and H2O2. however the RM remained red after using half the Qty of H2O2. I, then added the rest of H2O2 and later observed the formation of solids product. I let the RM to rest over night and observed green color in the next morning. I vacuum filtered the RM and got 36 g of product with green tint. i found some green liquid (about 40 ml) at the bottom of filter flask, under the aqueous phase. kindly guide me what the green liquid is, why it is formed, why I have got less product and where I was wrong when conducting the process. Thanks to all.

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Write the exact amounts of substances that were used in reaction, that is, for hydrogen peroxide, you need to specify the volume and its concentration, as well as for HBr acid. It is also important to know the reaction temperature and other conditions. The more precisely you write what you did, the more precisely you will receive the answer.

View previous replies…

Shehry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Dear Bro, thanks a lot for kind response. I had used 60 ml of 4-Methylpropiophenone mixed with 46 ml of HBr (48 %). took 26 ml of H2O2 (35 %) and added drop wise. However, RM color remained red after adding about 15 ml of H2O2. Even then I had added the rest of per oxide. During initial addition of H2O2,temp. of RM raised too high that made hard to touch the flask, then it was controlled by putting ice cooled water around the flask. after some time, white fluffy solid formed and whole RM was allowed to rest whole night. next morning, green liquid (about 40 ml) was found with the solid product and this liquid was resting at bottom, means it was not soluble in aqueous solution. hopping this info will serve the purpose.

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Most likely, you ran out of free acid in the reaction and only had bromine, and the acid is known to be a bromination catalyst (stable enolization of the ketone is required throughout the entire bromination). I recommend using additional sulfuric acid to continuously enolize the ketone, the bromine color should disappear quickly during the reaction.

Shehry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thanks bro, I will take care next time...once again thanks a lot.

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
This is such a breeze compared to the Br2 route in DCM/Toluene ❤️

Wr4V8l9ZQm

• Love
Reactions: $!$

WillD

Expert
Reaction score
It is strange that it turned out to be granules. But sometimes this happens. If the structure is more crystalline, then the final product will be easier to crystallize.

View previous replies…

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Well, I did not follow the procedure 100% which could clarify. I just set it up, adding dropwise and go to sleep. Next morning it was way to hot and I reduced addition. Then 8 hours later noticed that addition has stopped while the mixture was full of crystals and I opened the valve, which added all remaining h2o2 causing vigorous bromine release and heat. I considered it wasted but kept stirring. Eventually turned out all good. I even like the granules since it's easier transferring them, causing less exposure to lachrymatory for me 😁. At least I know it takes a lot to fail this, and that makes it a killer recipe ❤️

TheVacuumGuy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
how to get it crystallized? When creating a saturated solution in isopropanol, and letting it stand, the entire content will "crystallize" (with multiple wet inner parts)?

TucoSalamanca.

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score

Hydrobromic acid 47% I was able to find 47% of this reagent, okay?​