Ephedrine extraction from pills methods

ralralro

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I wonder that I need 100% xylene or is it okay to just use the paint shop xylene?

Fedbaby074

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
It's the same thing you're there is no other xylene but hard ware store I mean you could order off ebay lab grade but it's not going make any difference

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Did you understand what I wrote to you above? You can try to dissolve this solution in water and divide from PEG by alkaline extraction. You will get toluene (or another appropriate solvent) with PseudoE free base). Then, acid extraction to divide PseiudoE from Ibuprofen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fedbaby074

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
But it's all the inactive ingredients that become the problem let's say you do separate the pseudoephedrine and ibuprofen then what now you got to clean all the inactive ingredients out as well and most are soluble in the same chemical it's nearly impossible and after working on it for 4 hours and probably yielding 50% actual meth the time and money spent on everything you would actually be taking a lost and that's if any converts at all most the time you end up with half converted meth and pseudoephedrine

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Can try flash chromatography for this case. But this procedure would be pretty exhausting.

diogenes

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi Patton, thank you for clarifying this. My confusion came from the Erowid write-up where they suggest getting rid of the PEG by soaking the initial mixture in Toluene, so I started to wonder whether some of the PEG will remain in the Toluene.

Here is the right process in my understanding, please let me know if you`d change something.

1. adding alkaline solution to pH 13
2. extract with Toluene/other non-polar
3. discard the old water layer, then perhaps do a few water washes?
4. Add some clean water to the non-polar solvent
5. Acidify until pH 3 with dilute HCl
6. The Pseudo will migrate to the water phase as Pseudo-HCl salt
7. The Ibuprofen (now acidic) will precipitate in the water phase so in theory we have pretty clean pseudo in the water.
(8.) Perhaps the final cleaning should be an AB extraction with ether although this could decrease the yield.

Urky

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Sry i need to make few steps cleared.

adding alkaline solution to pH 13.........adding alkaline solution to what? like soke pills in alkaline water ? because my pills contain shit that activates in water.
2. extract with Toluene/other non-polar.......good
3. discard the old water layer, then perhaps do a few water washes?........good
4. Add some clean water to the non-polar solvent...........good
5. Acidify until pH 3 with dilute HCl..........good
6. The Pseudo will migrate to the water phase as Pseudo-HCl salt..........good
7. The Ibuprofen (now acidic) will precipitate in the water phase so in theory we have pretty clean pseudo in the water.............so I can filter ibuprofen out of the water now and have clean water with only pse ?
(8.) Perhaps the final cleaning should be an AB extraction with ether although this could decrease the yield.

View previous replies…

Urky

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Any ideas?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
To crushed pills
I'm not sure that all admixtures will be washed off by this way but sounds like a good option

Urky

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So if i understand correctly, i will soak crushed pills in toluene then adding mixture of alkaline water solution and then i will extract with toluene OR soak in alkaline water then extract with toluene?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Can you tell me a difference? =)

Urky

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
No difference sry im stupid, thanks
Last question...will the water active ingredients be activated by adding alkaline solution (water/NaOH) ?

Fedbaby074

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
A/b extraction probably the best option still not guaranteed

Urky

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
?so do you mean i should use A/B extraction for this whole procedure ?

my new plan is to firstly dissolve the pills in ethanol for 5-8 hours. (last time this teqniqe dissolved bot IBU and PSE but he weight of Modafen box is 24pcs and one pill contains 200mg Ibuprofen and 30mg of PSE. so at the beginning i started with 5500mg
After ethanol souk i just let them evaporate rdry in chill.....it was okayn and the most insteresting think was that i went from 5500a to like 1500-1700 mg but im reallz sure this this just pse, ibu and some few fillers.
and from this point im wondering.
SOOOO do you think this is going to work ?

1. soalking whole mass in ethanol for 5-8 hours
2. filtering the solution and keeping the luquid and discarding leftover gag
3.now it time to heat on rly low heat snd slowly avaporate until getting desired powder mix of PSE n IBU.
4.adding alkaline water until my solution reaches pH of 13.........adding alkaline solution to what? like soke pills in alkaline water ? because my pills contain shit that activates in water.
5. extract with toluene
6. now discard the old water layer, then perhaps do a few water washes?
7. Add some clean destilled water to the non-polar solvent
8. Acidify until pH 3 with dilute HCl (do i need to shake it, or just slow swirling is okey?)
9.The Pseudo will migrate to the water phase as Pseudo-HCl salt
10. The Ibuprofen (now acidic) will precipitate in the water phase so in theory we have pretty clean pseudo in the water
11. lastly i can do A/B extraction to purify the PSE even more.

Thanks for responses :D

Plantguy

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
For the strongest purest way and green is the following a de hydrogenation ring aka getting rid of alcohol by using a recrystal cyclization adding smaller amounts in more rings while taking out alcohol and impurity . Aka micro crystal tek

Cheerbushe

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I don't have MEK to rinse the pseudo HCL. (Procedure 12)What should I use instead of MEK?

chem19

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hello experts,
I have tablets that have levocetirizine hydrochloride 5 mg & sustained release pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 120mg, ferric oxide.
My questions are as follows
1) how to extract pseudoephedrine from following composition.
2) natha is not available and shipping in my country.
3) in extraction process it is strictly said that vm&p natha and no other substitute. Is there any specific other chemical that can replace it.
Your response means a lot for me. Thanks in advance.

spiritveg

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
hey. i have a question. in my case the pills contain 5mg levocetrizine hcl and 120mg pse hcl. there is a coating of ferric oxide. Since both levo and pse are amines and have similar polarity i don't know how to separate the two. also would it be a problem is i didn't remove the levo? plz help.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
You'll extract both isomers. You told they have same dipole moment (polarity), how do you suppose to extract just one isomer?

chem19

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
@G.Patton levocitrizine and pseudoephedrine are not isomers.by levo he means levocitrizine and not levo and dextro form. Both are polar and soluble in almost same solvent. So question here is how to seperate them.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Sorry, I read not carefully and thought that you talked about l-ephedrine. Probably, you can separate them by flash chromatography (look at Lab FAQ) but I don't have a write up for these substances. You need to select an appropriate solvents by your own.

testint

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I was the practice after cleaning to then Redox
because it is difficult to directly reduce benzylic hydroxyls
and very easy to reduce benzylic ketones oxidiser used mainly is
[oxodiperoxo molybdenum catalyst in water and hydrogen peroxide]

Plantguy

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
What about bronkaid sulfate 25mg

bananabebop

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Sulfate salts act differently than hydrochloride salts.

May be wrong - ephedrine sulfate must be dissolved in h2o. Not easily dissolved in alcohol(ethanol/methanol).
Followed by an A/B extraction.