GHB (Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate) Synthesis FAQ

GHB-NewYork

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Anyone have success of producing GBL from BDO with copper chromite catalyst?
The copper chromite catalyst used is same as 12053-18-8? Or it is something else? Can someone give some suggestions?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello, yes, it is.

GHB-NewYork

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
@G.Patton i done with 12053-18-8 but the yield is very low not even 30percent gbl in final solution you have any advice for it?

sharetea

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Nahh its. Not. You want the. One with the 9 at the end.. just make it urself. .. also dont add any powdered. Hydroxide. It. There to punish people who dont do there research. Yields realistically are in the high 90s

TheWaterman

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi I have a question on Sand Mayer process. Will I be done with the process leaving me with GBL only if I stop after Step 4 in the extraction part as it seems like everything after makes it into GHB?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, If I understand you correctly, you want to get GBL by Sandmeyer Reaction. Yes, you can get it at 4th step.

View previous replies…

Jeffrey B.

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
cool, I found GABA in the form of gelatin capsules with just microcelulose as a filler, aswell as 50g bags of questionable purity for ~$10 a pop, sooooooo the pills are cheaper AND purer. I also can buy NaNO2 as some sort of gardening product from a chemical supplier for like $8 a kilo lol. I'm suprised no one here (Poland) makes GHB, its so easy but I've never seen it on the market. I will update whenever I have effects and/or questions

Actually, its still kinda unclear if im supposed to do both distillation AND extraction with DCM, how do i make sure im distilling GBL? isn't the RM full of water? GBL's BP is 204,6 °C, so do I just boil the RM until vapor temp. reaches 204,6 °C and collect from there?

Thanks in advance

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
DCM bp is 39.6*C
GBL bp is 204*C
There is clearly written that you have to distill off water at first. Read several times. I write the same as written in the topic.

Joeking

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Am I able to use Potassium Bromate in place of Sodium Bromate for

gamma-Butyrolactone Synthesis from Tetrahydrofuran (THF)

thanks in advance

Chefy77

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
me and my bro use to make it back in day shit was fun but tasted awful

Chefy77

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
i couldn't fuck with it unless i had some blow

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Share the procedure for the synthesis of GBL from pyrrolidine, oxidation with a chromium mixture or similar. Thank you

sharetea

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Umm the copper cromite catalyst that you use is very important. Cos differet copper chromites are used for different purposes.

The last step of preparation of the catalyst for everything other then dehydrogenation is an acetic acid wash. This removes the copper oxide that messes with some other reactions. But. It wants needed for dehydrogeation of diol.

Its meant to make up like 40-60%.. of the catalyst.
Its a 90 percent plus conversion...

with no need of any solvents..dont add the powdered hydroxide.. it prb drop ur. Yield by 15-20%

If you read the patent for sodium bromate for the write up thf convesion to gbl. You can start wth bdo need almost double the tim if my memory serves me correct. But the reactions goes.

Bdo -> thf -> gbl.

Th conversion is meant to be high 80%

Their are a few conversion frm bdo to. Gbl with. Sodium bromite.. and sodium bromate.

The bromite bdo an. Aluminium oxide.. in dcm stir 12 hrs .quench extract distille is like high 80 or. Low 90s..

41Dxflatline

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
THF can be electrochemically oxidized to GBL:

Electrochemical synthesis of γ-butyrolactone from tetrahydrofuran By: Kirsanova, A. I. Elektrokhimiya (1978), 14(4), 627 CODEN: ELKKAX; ISSN: 0424-8570

A method is described for the anodic oxidation of tetrahydrofuran (THF) [109-99-9] to γ-butyrolactone [96-48-0] in a KBr solution with Na2SO4 as a supporting electrolyte on a Pt electrode at pH ∼ 1. The anodic efficiency reaches 98% when a diaphragm is used. THF is oxidized indirectly by BrO3- formed during the oxidation of Br-. At higher pH (6-7) the oxidizing agent is BrO- formed at the anode and the current efficiency decreases due to the simultaneous formation of oxybutyric acid.

Or

The electrochemical oxidation of tetrahydrofuran in sulphuric acid solution By: Christiana Avgousti et al.

Current effciency of the main products of THF oxidation at a Pt anode for electrolysis time 24 h, H2 SO4 0.5 M:

Anodic potential (V versus RHE): 2.3, Current density (mA cmˇ2 ): 70.0 : Products THF-OH 41.2% GBL 54.4% Succinic Acid 2.5%

It can also be oxidised by peroxymonophosphoric acid: Novel oxidation of tetrahydrofuran to .gamma.-butyrolactone with peroxyphosphoric acid By Yoshiro Ogata, Kohtaro Tomizawa, and Toshiyuki Ikeda

sharetea

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
ive been fascinated with electrolsis as of late been watching this guy on youtube that uses elextoylsis to get there its pretty awesome

im just going out ona limb.. soo thats like replacing oh with Ph and at the same time throwing oxygen in the mix.

.im just guessing..

im going to have a looksie.. thanks

41Dxflatline

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
You don't have to use platinum. One mistake I see people making when doing electrolysis is they set their cell up as if they were doing tests with a potentiometer. A "bulk electrolysis cell" is different. you want the working electrode to have huge surface area, fill the whole jar. Here's a commerical example:
QlSzb8nuyK

This is a nice little guide:

Sciencenutz

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I've done the bdo to gbl reaction and have gbl but when making it to ghb with lye my ph is 14 after done reaction what would we recommend to neutralize? Keep adding gbl which is ph7 or what acid is recommended to drop it?

Hhernan

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Distilled vinegar brings it down

Hhernan

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Maybe gbl concentration is not too high