GHB (Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate) Synthesis FAQ

TheWaterman

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi I have a question on Sand Mayer process. Will I be done with the process leaving me with GBL only if I stop after Step 4 in the extraction part as it seems like everything after makes it into GHB?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, If I understand you correctly, you want to get GBL by Sandmeyer Reaction. Yes, you can get it at 4th step.

View previous replies…

Jeffrey B.

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
sorry for being late to the party, but I have a similar question regarding this route.
1. Are we distilling GBL straight from the RM in step 1a? If so, is our GBL in an azeotrope with water? And how would that be possible if its soluble in non polar solvents?
2. If we just collect the product up to step 4 by extraction with DCM from RM (and perhaps by distillation like mentioned above) we should be able to turn it into whatever GHB salt we crave, right?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi
1. yes, directly. There is description of the process, an azeotrope isn't formed.
2. the best way is represented, you can do your way but it will be worse because of side products

Rumpelstiltskin

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
What is the reaction temperature of Naoh with GBL. Because boiling is not good but how do we then know that the reaction is taking place.

In other words. To which temperature should i bring and hold the Reaction Mixture ?

DMTCalendar

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Like .. I'd toss a reflux condenser on it for a while.. I've never actually burned GHB to the disgusting plastic ish stuff.. maybe 100c then wait 30m and check the PH again.. cool the sample you're ph ing to room temp.. play it by ear.. adjust heat gently.. keep a journal so you can tweak your skillz.. Always use GBL to adjust if you have it.. (I reckon).. Praise, Aunt B, smutty goddess.
much love, (some friendly envy, heh)
chemmy

Katty Korner

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
For the reaction of the bromobutyric acid with sodium ethoxide, can it be made any "denser"?

60 grams in 500ml of ethoxide solution is not ideal to me, if it could say be double that, or more, then I think we could be talking.

Could this be done with higher concentration of sodium ethoxide solution, to get it "denser" in terms of how much reactants and product can be made? What percentage is the original solution, as per the post?

Irving Langmuir

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I'd advise anyone trying to synthesize GHB via GABA to be very careful about the excipients added to GABA (if you buy it as a dietary supplement, for example), as some make GABA insoluble in water.

TheAlchemist23

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Literally my first synth back in 2006...I still remember the hyper-simplicity in doing this one step synth from the butyro-lactone to Sodium Oxibate; back then I used the "Chems-R-Us" synth route which worked wonder. After more than 300 compounds tested in 15-16y, NaGHB remains, especially when coupled with an upper (DYOR, be safe guys), one if not THE most wonderful recreational combo ever. No gabapentinoid ever provided the euphoria while producing zero hangover like this wonderfully simple endogenous carbohydrate!

Jorg

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Any way to do Sandmeyer reaction without distillation apparatus? I managed to broke mine... Is Gbl that dirty by that method?

diyguy

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am dealing with big upscalling problem for my GHB production. Cam you guys take a look perhaps?

Thank you

Win Win

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi sir if my gbl is sodium can use?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hello, GBL can't be sodium. Sodium is metal while GBL is an organic substance.

View previous replies…

Win Win

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I bought that is powder form. Is it can use?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
You have, probably, γ-Hydroxybutyric Acid CAS Number502-85-2, not GBL.
Yes, you can use it.

Win Win

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
My one is
Y-Butyrolactone (4-hydroxybutric acid lactose - cas no: 96-48-0. Is it same thing?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
No, this substance is liquid.

Win Win

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
But mine one is powder really. Powder and liquid also same do right?

Win Win

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Is the finished product according to your recipe is liquid or crystal?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Do you understand English?

Irving Langmuir

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I followed the synthesis perfectly, and I'll explain here how I purified the final product.
Indeed, after the synthesis, the obtained NaGHB was brown. It's worth noting that I hadn't distilled the GBL (the GBL was yellow), and that distilling it without vacuum seemed to decompose it, as it became increasingly orange/brown
So I dissolved the brown NaGHB in a minimum of anhydrous methanol (anhydrous ethanol also works). It's important that it's anhydrous. Anything that doesn't dissolve is discarded. Then I added acetone, and a white precipitate forms. More acetone is added until all the NaGHB precipitate out. Impurities remained solubilized in solution. The precipitate was vacuum-filtered and washed with acetone, leaving white NaGHB. The residual acetone was evaporated from the NaGHB. The melting point was exactly that of NaGHB.
I used this method because I had trouble making a correct recrystallization giving a pure product.